Indoor tanning beds will be banned in South Australia because they increase the risk of melanoma by 20 per cent.
Tanning beds in solariums will be banned in South Australia from 2015 because of health concerns.
The ban will bring SA into line with NSW which will ban the beds from the same date.
"There is strong evidence that using sun beds increases the risk of health impacts on users including the occurrence of melanomas," SA Health Minister John Hill said.
The minister said research published in the British Medical Journal earlier this year found the risk of cutaneous melanoma was increased by 20 per cent for people who used indoor tanning devices with artificial ultraviolet light.
The risk of melanoma was doubled when use started before the age of 35.
The government said it would work with the operators of tanning salons on ways to adapt their businesses to survive.
Thursday's announcement was welcomed by the SA Cancer Council, with chief executive Brenda Wilson saying many lives would be saved.
"We applaud the government for taking such a strong stance," Professor Wilson said.